|fun with veggie chili|

Veggie chili is a beautiful thing. I'm not even sure why you need to make it with meat ever. I learned from my mother-in-law that you could throw veggies into regular chili and started adding more and more veggies until I discovered the meat wasn't really necessary. Yesterday was my first time making chili in the crockpot and it turned out pretty good, so I figured I'd post the recipe.

A word about one of the ingredients. "Six Guns Chili Mixin's" is the coolest chili packet ever. I can't find there where I live, so I have to buy them in Kansas. But they are awesome. It comes with several pouches of seasonings, including a packet of masa to add at the end for thickness.


CROCK POT VEGGIE GOODNESS CHILI:
1) Put all these ingredients in the crockpot:
  • Onions (diced)
  • Beans (I used red and black; canned or dried is okay - just pre-soak if they're dried)
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes (add the juice, too)
  • Corn (canned or frozen)
  • Mushrooms (you can use whatever other kind of vegs you want, but mushrooms are a must)
  • Whole mess of veggies - basically just fill it up with whatever you want...this time I used zucchini, a few carrots, sweet potatoes, acorn squash, and turnips (I can also vouch that celery, all kind of peppers, and okra are all good things)

2) Add your flavoring packets (or a combination of chili powder, cumin, garlic, pepper, cayenne pepper - just add way MORE than you think you'll need...it takes a lot to make it flavorful). Add some water, too.

3) Cook all day long. Check to make sure your beans and vegs are done. Make sure you've got some broth yet.

4) To make it thick and yummy, add some masa (corn flour). Add a couple tablespoons of it to some water until it's about pancake batter consistency. Drizzle it into the chili a few minutes before serving.

Comments

Rev_DeanL said…
That chili sounds good, but where's the meat??!! Oh wait "veggie chili"...I get it now.

Popular Posts