| bowl of fall goodness |

Sweet potatoes abounded at the market on Saturday, so I picked some up. I wanted to find a way to make them into a complete meal (which, in my world, basically involves adding grains and protein). Here's what I came up with. It is tasty, if I do say so myself.


BOWL OF FALL GOODNESS
3 medium sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup orange juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup (or maple)
½ cup raisins
½ cup walnuts, chopped
Cinnamon and nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
Quick cook barley

Combine all ingredients except the black beans and barley in a large casserole. Bake at 350-375 until the sweet potatoes are tender (about 30-45 minutes). Meanwhile, cook up about 4 servings of quick cook barley according to the package directions. Once the potatoes are done, add the can of black beans and stir. Serve the potato mixture over the barley.

NOTE: you could probably use another grain, like rice, but boy is the chewiness of the barley a good choice.

Comments

Popular Posts