| i have created hockey pucks |

So....our local food co-op sells this amazing oat cakes that are made locally. I call them hockey pucks, because that's what they look like. They have always been one of my favorite treats. Kind of dry (but in a good way) and chewy. Like a granola bar, only much better.

I finally tried to make them myself, and it worked out pretty well. I think I'll definitely make another batch in the future.

HOCKEY PUCKS
2 cups hot water
1-2 cups raisins and craisins
3 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup walnuts (finely chopped)
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
dash of vanilla

Put the hot water in a bowl and soak the raisins/craisins. Mix together the oats, flour, nuts, brown sugar, butter, and vanilla (I recommend putting the vanilla in the butter to mix it up more easily). Stir well. Pull the soaked raisins/craisins out of the water (don't drain it though - you need the water). Add about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the water to the oat mixture and stir. You want it to be pretty sticky, but not liquidy.

Put about 1/2 a muffin-tin-full of mixture into each cup of a muffin tin. Press down firmly. Bake at 325 for 15 minutes. Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes, then remove and cool the rest of the way. Makes about 15 hockey pucks.

Comments

Unknown said…
MAde them with dried cherries and chocolate chips - turned out great! Wonderful recipe, Caela! I'll be bringing the latest hockey puck permutation to playgroup today.

Popular Posts