| homemade crackers |

I have a toddler who would eat nothing but crackers and cheese, if given the option. So I found myself trying to think of ways to make the crackers more nutritious and did a little googling. I figured there had to be a way to sneak in some veggies. I found this recipe on a blog called Blommi.

I made them and they are awesome. Insanely tasty. My only complaint is that they're pretty time consuming (you know, as compared to just buying a box of crackers). I doubt that I'll be making ALL my own crackers anytime soon, but it's nice to have this as an option. These would be great for entertaining, too. I'm posting the recipe below and then my edits afterwards. Enjoy!

Spinach Crackers Recipe
1/3 cup of frozen loose leaf spinach
1/4 cup oil (I use olive oil)
1/2 tsp kosher salt ( or powdered chicken bouillon, like Goya)
1 1/2 tbs water
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Puree the spinach, oil salt, baking powder and water in a food processor or blender.

Combine the flour and the spinach mixture, either in the food processor, or a mixing bowl.
Knead the dough and form it into a nice ball.

Roll the dough out on a well floured surface. The dough should be rolled out very thin (like pasta dough).

Put the dough on a floured baking sheet.

Use a pastry cutter to cut the dough into squares.(a pizza cutter or knife will do if you don’t
have one)

Prick each cracker 2-3 times with a fork.

Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Thinner crackers and those on the edges will cook faster. Pull them out, and continue cooking those that are still soft. Crackers will crisp a bit more during cooling, but should be somewhat crisp when removed.

Crackers should be put directly on a kitchen towel to cool, to maintain their crispness.

This recipes will make a batch of spinach crackers equal to about 1/2 a regular size box of crackers. Store in an airtight container.

MY EDITS:
- I figured there was no way I was going to all this trouble for a 1/2 a box of crackers, and my package of frozen spinach was more like a cup, so I tripled the recipe.
- With a tripled recipe, I needed 3 total cups of flour. I used 2 cups of white flour, 2/3 c of whole wheat flour and 1/3 cup of wheat bran.
- I added quite a bit of freshly ground black pepper and powdered garlic.
- I used 2/3 canola oil and 1/3 olive oil (just because I'm cheap).
- I did all the fork pricking BEFORE cutting them into squares. Faster that way.
- I wanted to roll mine through my pasta crank to make the sheets, but it wouldn't go through. Just kept getting stuck. If anyone figures out how to solve this problem, please let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts