| it ain't christmas without sugar cookies |

I love sugar cookies. I love them when they are chewy and flaky. I hate them when they are dry and crumbly. I don't like they overly sugary...more like a really good shortbread with some extra sweetness added in. But when they are just right? Man, I love them. Favorite kind of cookie - hands down.

I am a crappy baker. I have a hard time following recipes. Also, I hate any kind of baking that involves rolling the dough out (or dough at all, honestly). But my friend Lynn made these one night when we were at her house for dinner. They were SO good. And they seemed to be SO easy. So I gave them a try. 

Yep. They are heaven on a plate. I freeze some in hopes of not eating them all at once, but, really - who am I kidding? I just end up eating them frozen. Sigh. The dough is incredibly easy to work with. You probably already have all the ingredients. Just go make some.

German Sugar Cookies 
(note: I have no idea if they're really German, but if they are - thank you Germany)

Mix together: until smooth:
1 C butter
2/3 C sugar
½ C light corn syrup
1 t lemon juice
1 egg

Gradually beat in::
4 C flour
¼ t salt

Chill 1 hour. On floured surface roll out dough 1/3 at a time to 1/8 “ thickness. Cut into shapes.
Bake 350 for 10-12 minutes on a greased cookie sheet. These freeze well.


*******
And...a little something-something for the top.

Powdered Sugar Icing 

From Christmas-Cookies.com
 
This flavorful, smooth, slightly translucent, shiny glaze is great for decorating sugar cookies or drizzling over other desserts.
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar 
2 tablespoons water 
1 tablespoon butter, softened 
1 tablespoon light corn syrup 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
food color, if desired

Combine powdered sugar, water, 1 tablespoon butter, corn syrup and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in small mixer bowl; mix until powdered sugar is moistened. Beat at medium speed until smooth, adding additional water if necessary, to reach desired glazing consistency. Tint with food color, if desired.


Note: Originally found on the website of Better Homes and Gardens. We posted it here because it has disappeared from their website, and it's a great recipe.

Comments

Just made the dough and put it in the fridge. K and friends will be making cookies in about an hour. I'll let you know how it goes. I like the flavor and the consistency of the dough.

Popular Posts