| savory corn fritters |

I was bored with my kids' lunches and saw a recipe for corn pancakes which made me hungry. But I wasn't really excited about sweet pancakes, so I made up this recipe for some savory corn fritters. I am not a southerner, but I think they turned out pretty tasty. They taste like corn casserole in a more portable form. I think it's the coconut oil that made the recipe. I've had this stuff on hand for months now, using it for skin and hair, but just finally got brave enough to start cooking with it. Man, they aren't kidding when they say this stuff is good for frying. If you don't have coconut oil on hand, I'm sure any ol' fat will do ya - veggie oil, butter, bacon grease (but you didn't hear that from me).

SAVORY CORN FRITTERS
3 eggs
1/2 c flour
1/2 c corn meal or dry polenta
2 T butter, melted
1/2 c buttermilk (or mix 1/2 T lemon juice with 1/2 c milk and let it rest for 5 minutes)
1/2 t salt
dash of cayenne pepper
1/4 t paprika
pepper
15 oz canned corn, drained
1/8 c bell peppers, minced finely

1) Whip up the eggs. Then add the flour, corn meal, and butter. Add the milk until you reach the consistency of pancake batter. Stir in the seasonings. Stir in the corn and peppers.
2) Melt about 2 T coconut oil in a skillet (electric griddles are great, of course). Use 1/4 c for each fritter and fry for about 3-5 minutes on each side.
Yield: 10 5-inch fritters

Comments

Popular Posts