| method: salad dressing |

I am big on knowing METHODS for making things so that I can just make them up as needed, without a recipe. Here are two of my methods for making salad dressing.

BASIC ANY KIND OF DRESSING
You need to work with 1 part olive oil, 1 part canola (or other veggie oil) and 1 parts acid. So, for example, 1 T of EACH oil and 1 T of acid. The two kinds of oil are important because if you just use olive oil it will harden in the fridge. And if you just use canola oil, it will taste bad. :-)

For the acid, you can use any kind of vinegar or lemon juice. Probably other citrus, too, though I haven't tried that. I have used white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar. Rice wine vinegar is one of my favorites.

Then you need some kind of sweetener. I kind of eyeball that, but if you don't want it too sweet, go with about 1/2 of one of your other parts. So, if you're doing 1 T of each oil, go with about 1/2 T of the sweetener. Good sweets are honey, sugar, jam, agave, brown sugar.

Salt and pepper. Whatever seasonings you want. Good options are things like oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley, basil, cumin, turmeric, dill seed, celery seed. Pretty much anything, really.

I like to use jars that already have markings on them (baby bottles are GREAT!) or just take a mason jar and mark it up on the side with your amounts. Pour in your oils and your acid. Add the sugar and seasonings. Shake and shake. Refrigerate whatever you don't use.

BALSAMIC VARIATIONS
When I am in a hurry, I often just throw together 2 parts olive oil, 1 part balsamic and then some nice jam. Raspberry, strawberry, apricot. All are delicious.

Another option is to do 2 parts olive oil, 1 part balsamic, and then a touch of high quality whole grain mustard (dijon will work in a pinch, too.)

Comments

Popular Posts