| perfect brussels sprouts |

I have perfected my method for preparing Brussels sprouts. I used to do dumb stuff like steam them, which was fast, but not as tasty. Or I'd just full-on roast them, which was yummy but took forever. This method takes about 15 minutes from start to finish and they are toasty on the outside, smooth on the inside. Perfection. If you've always been scared of Brussels sprouts, give this a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

  1. Turn on your oven to 400.
  2. Heat a cast iron skillet with a good high-heat oil in it (i.e. not olive oil) on the stovetop. My preference is coconut oil, but canola works fine, too.
  3. As the oil melts, you can pop small sprouts in whole. Cut the larger ones in half and toss them in as you go. 
  4. Stir as it heats so things will get evenly browned. I like to add a small nob of butter here, too, but you don't have to. 
  5. Once they've been cooking for about 5 minutes, you are ready for the oven. 
  6. I like to season mine with salt, pepper, and some red pepper flakes before they go into the oven. 
  7. Let them cook in the oven for 10 minutes. 
  8. Stir. Squeeze a little lemon on and let them cool a bit. 

Fun story about Brussels sprouts: I can still clearly remember the first time I ever saw/ate one. I was probably 14 or 15 years old and visiting my grandma in the hospital. The options in the cafeteria were limited and my mom told me the Brussels sprouts would taste like cabbage. I loved cabbage, so I got some. They were AMAZING. I was instantly in love. I'm pretty sure they were just boiled or heated from frozen or something, so, in retrospect, probably not the best ever. But I was enamored. I told my husband this story and he said, "Some people are just destined to become vegetarians, I guess."



Comments

Popular Posts