|i have been empowered to make risotto|

This is an amazingly happy day. The writers of Vegetarian Times magazine have changed my life by teaching me how to make any kind of risotto I want. Any kind. I've always loved risotto, but when I look at recipes I always think, "hmmm, I don't like that one ingredient," so I don't make it. But in Vegetarian Times they had a little sidebar that teaches you how to make any kind of risotto you want. We had about a cup of leftover arborio rice sitting around, so I picked up some vegs at the store and went to town.

You can make ANY risotto you want by following the steps below:
  1. Saute some aromatics in a little oil or butter. I used onions in olive oil. You could also use shallots, leeks, celery, carrots, etc. If you're going to use dried herbs, add them now. If you're going to use fresh herbs, add them at the end. I used thyme, sage, and some celery seeds.
  2. After they are translucent, add the rice (1/4 c. dry per serving). It has to be arborio because it has the right kinds of starch power to make the creamy risotto action happen. Let it brown for a couple minutes.
  3. Add about a half cup of wine (or beer, that would probably be good, too!). Simmer until almost all of the wine is absorbed.
  4. Heat 1 cup of broth per serving. Add it, about a half cup at a time, and let it cook down. Simmer the whole time. It will absorb ALL of the liquid. Just be patient and keep adding.
  5. Towards the end, you'll start to add whatever veggies you want. The key is just to chop them up small and add them according to how much cooking they will need. I added my mushrooms first, then asparagus, then delicata and acorn squash (which I precooked in the microwave). You'll be adding these veggies while the liquid is still cooking down.
  6. Once the liquid is absorbed and the veggies are cooked, you're done. ENJOY.

This is SO awesome because you could literally do any combination you want. Wow. I ate mine while sitting on the cough with my windows open, watching my DVRed "The Office" from Thursday. Does life get any better than this?

Comments

Popular Posts