|bulgur stir fry - super yummy|

Who knew that you could make anything besides tabbouleh with bulgur?!? Not me! But then I saw a Weight Watchers core recipe for making stir fry with bulgur, so I decided to give it a try. It was awesome. I, of course, didn't have most of the ingredients they suggested on hand, so I made up my own gig.

BULGUR STIR FRY AVEC WHATEVER IS IN THE FRIDGE:
1) Put 1 cup of dry bulgur and 1 3/4 cups of water in my rice cooker. Pressed the button. (Gotta love the rice cooker).

2) Cooked one scrambled egg very thin (like an omelet with nothing in it) in the skillet and let it cool. Then I rolled it up and sliced it into strips.
3) Heated up my wok really hot with a couple teaspoons of oil. Threw in the various things I had on hand...onions & peppers (from the amazing frozen veggies section at Kroger - so wonderful to have on hand), a handful of edamame, carrots, broccoli slaw, a little frozen corn, mushrooms, and tons of garlic. Cooked that up.

4) Added the egg strips, some baked tofu (recipe courtesy of my friends Sandy and Suzanne - it's below), and the cooked bulgur.


It was truly amazing. The bulgur is even tastier than brown rice. By far. Also, it's much better for you than brown rice. One cup of it is only 2 WW points (151 cals, 1/2 g fat, 8 g fiber). Here's something weird - my spell checker doesn't think bulgur is a word. Odd, huh?

********************

On a completely unrelated note, I just finished reading
Julie and Julia by Julie Powell. It was absolutely one of the funniest books I've read in ages. This woman is about to turn 30 and is feeling a little loser-y because she's a secretary in NYC, so she decides she needs a "project" and sets the goal of cooking all the recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child. The book is more about her craziness than the food, but it's still wildly entertaining.
********************

BAKED TOFU A LA SANDY & SUZANNE

1) Toss together the following in a glass baking dish: 1/4 c. lemon juice, 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2-3 tablespoons oil, pepper, garlic, rosemary.

2) Press the excess water out of a block of extra firm tofu. If you've never done this before, it's easy...just put the tofu on top of some towels on a plate; put something heavy on top of the tofu for about 30 minutes.

3) Cube the tofu into about 50 little cubes. Toss in the pan with the oil mixture.
4) Bake at 400 for 30-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.

This is tasty on stir fry, salads, pitas, by itself, you name it. Mmmm.

Comments

sandy said…
Glad to hear the Christmas Rice Cooker is working out. Hopefully the size of it is working for most things!

Popular Posts