|crockpot cheesy potato soup|

This is a recipe from a lady who went to my church when I was growing up. Actually, I think it was her grandmother's. When I got married, my mom gave me a recipe card box full of some of my favorite recipes. This was definitely in there.

CROCKPOT CHEESY POTATO SOUP
  • 4 cups veggie or chicken broth (or 4 cups water and 4 cubes of bouillon)
  • 1 cup water
  • small onion, diced
  • 8-9 potatoes, cubed (you can peel if you prefer)
  • 1-2 carrots, diced small or shredded
  • dried parsley, salt, and pepper to taste
  • 1 can fat-free evaporated milk
  • 8-12 slices deli-style American cheese (these are the thick slices that come in a big block but aren't individually wrapped)
Combine broth, water, onion, potatoes, carrots, and seasonings in a crockpot. Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 8-12 hours. About an hour before serving, cool it down a bit (just take the lid off and put your crockpot on warm). Add the evaporated milk (the cooling is so it doesn't curdle the milk). Take the slices of cheese and slice them into little strips (or just pull them apart). Add to the mix and stir. Just before serving use a potato masher to mash up the potatoes a bit. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Makes about 6-8 servings.

NOTE: This isn't the world's healthiest recipe (especially with the amount of bread I prefer to dip into it) , but it's not horrible. It's also AMAZING comfort food.

Comments

Popular Posts