| rosti = thank you switzerland |

My mother-in-law, who is a big-time genealogist told me a few years ago that I'm Swiss. And after our dinner tonight, I have to agree. These are definitely my people.

I recently received The Earthbound Cook by Myra Goodman. I have to say that, in general, I'm underwhelmed by the book. It would be a good one for people who know almost nothing about cooking or very little about eating in season. But if you're already into that kind of thing, there's not a lot new here. It's certainly no Moosewood. That being said, there are a few recipes that I definitely want to try and, tonight, we started with Rosti.

Rosti (pronouced RAW-stee, ROOSH-tee, RO-sti, or REU-shti) is basically the best hashbrown potatoes you've ever eaten. No, seriously. Goodman suggests serving them with sauteed veggies and a fried egg on top. And I would heartily agree. I also added a dollop of Greek yogurt with lemon juice. It was fan-freaking-tastic.

Thank you, Switzerland.

POTATOES ROSTI
I'm going to tell you my version of the recipe - which was actually pretty close to her instructions

1 to 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, shredded (about 3 cups)
1/2 medium onion, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
4 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil (I used safflower instead)

1. Shred your potatoes and onion. Put them in cold water to soak for 5 minutes. While they're soaking, grate your cheese and set it aside.
2. Drain the potato mixture and then rinse it again to get all the starches off. Drain and press hard into your colander to remove as much water as possible.
3. DON'T SKIP THIS STEP: put the potatoes into a clean and dry kitchen towel. Wrap tightly and squeeze out as much water as you are able. Then squeeze again.
4. Heat the oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Melt the butter in it. You want a 12 inch skillet, preferably cast iron.
5. While that's heating, mix the potatoes, cheese, flour, salt and pepper in a dry bowl.
6. Dump the potatoes into the pan, press it down into an even layer with your hands. Cover and cook for 6 minutes. Remove the cover and cook 6 more minutes.
7. Use a spatula to loosen the bottom of the Rosti from the pan. It should be all hard and glorious on the bottom, but you've got to get it unstuck before you do the next step.
8. Slide the Rosti onto a plate, then flip it back onto the skillet so you can cook the other side. Cook, uncovered about 8 more minutes.
9. Transfer to a serving plate, top with sauteed veggies and a fried egg. Cut into wedges and serve. This will probably serve 3 people if you do 3 eggs.

For the veggie saute, Goodman recommends 1/2 an onion, 1 cup sliced mushrooms, 5 oz baby spinach and a seeded tomato. I didn't have those, so what I did was 1/2 an onion, 1 cup mushrooms, about a cup of chopped kale, and about 1/2 cup of diced yellow squash. No tomatoes around here anymore, so I added about a cup of diced canned tomatoes. It was super tasty. You could do any kind of veggies you like, really.

ENJOY!


Comments

Popular Posts