| tasty lentil side |

I don't mean to brag, but I just made the best lentils my mother-in-law has ever had. No, a correction. The lentil soup at our local Turkish restaurant has the best lentils she's ever had, but these come in second. Another correction. I do mean to brag because these lentils were off the chain.

We were having zucchini, basil, and cream pasta for dinner and I needed to throw together a side dish with some protein. I first thought of white beans, but we were out, so it had to be lentils. Here's what I did.

BUTTERED LENTILS WITH ROOT VEGGIES
1) I boiled about 1/2 cup of lentils in an ample amount of water with a little veggie stock base and about 1/4 cup of finely chopped herbs. I used lovage, because we just got some in our CSA. But you could use any ole herb that sounds good. I let them boil for about 15-20 minutes, until they were soft, but not falling apart. (P.S. Lovage is amazing. It tastes a lot like celery leaves, but better).

2) I sliced baby carrots into quarters, lengthwise. I did the same with some long radishes from the CSA. I'd say there was about 2 cups of veggies, in total.

3) I headed 3 T of butter in the cast iron skillet. Once it was hot, I added a couple cloves of garlic, sliced thin. I let it soften, then added the veggies.

4) I put the radishes face-down and the carrots just however. I let it cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until the radishes started to blister. Then I stirred it all up and let them finish cooking until the veggies were al dente.

5) I added about a tablespoon of chopped parsley and about a tablespoon of lemon juice.

6) I took the lentils out of their water with a slotted spoon and transferred them into the butter/veggie mix. Stir, stir, and serve.

Heavenly.

Comments

Popular Posts