| white chili with corn dumplings |

When we lived in Texas, a friend introduced me to the joys of white chili. Since becoming a vegetarian, though, I haven't had any because I've never seen a recipe without chicken and haven't been inspired to create one of my own. Until this week....nom nom nom.

Usually, I like white chili served over pasta, but we just had pasta earlier this week, so I decided to mix it up with some dumplings instead.

WHITE CHILI with CORN DUMPLINGS
1) Heat some olive or safflower oil in a stock pot. Add a couple cloves of minced garlic and a small onion, chopped fine. Cook until it starts to soften.
2) Add your favorite veggies - probably a couple cups. I used some frozen veggies that I had on had - some "soup mix" (green beans, peas, potatoes, okra, corn) and also some frozen green peppers.
3) Add a can of creamed corn. Add a large can of diced green chiles (about 7 oz, I think).
4) Add your spices. I used a couple tablespoons of cumin and about a teaspoon of oregano.
5) Add a can of drained white beans.
6) Next comes some veggie broth. I don't know how much I used. Probably 2-4 cups.
7) Simmer until everything is looking cooked.
8) Make up your dumplings. I used 1 1/2 cups white flour, 1/2 cup corn meal, 1 heaping tablespoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, and about a cup of whole milk. I also added about a teaspoon of smoked paprika because I heart smoked paprika. Stir with a fork. It should be about biscuit consistency.
9) Bring your soup up to a light boil and then drop the dumpling mixture on by the heaping tablespoon. I covered the whole top of the pot with dumplings cause that's how I roll.
10) Cover the pot and let the dumplings cook for 15 minutes.
11) I served our soup with some guacamole, grated pepper jack cheese, and lime juice on top. I would have added cilantro if we'd had any on hand.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts