| ginger in a tube: fried rice edition |

I love ginger in a tube. Ginger is such a delightful flavor but such a pain in the patoot to acquire. I mean, there's powdered ginger, but it tastes like nothing. And there's real ginger, but peeling and mincing it makes me crazy. So ginger in a tube is where it's at for me. I love to add it to salad dressings. And I especially love to add it to stir fry.

I'm having fried rice in my lunches this week. Such a perfect, easy, use-up-whatevers-in-your-fridge kind of meal. And the ginger in a tube really gives it that extra punch. Yum.

FRIED RICE TECHNIQUE
You need:
already cooked rice (best if it's been in the fridge overnight)
a ton of vegetables
ginger in a tube
garlic
eggs
vegetable oil and sesame oil
soy sauce (or tamari)

1) Get out your wok and turn the heat up high. Scramble your eggs in a bowl. Oil the bottom of your pan. Dump the eggs in all at once. Wait until they're pretty firm. Flip once. Turn down heat. Take eggs off and set aside.
2) Prep all your veggies and put them on your cutting board in order. You're going to add any aromatics first (I like spring onions), then any hard veggies (like a handful of baby carrots or broccoli), then softer veggies (diced bell peppers? snow peas?), and finally soft veggies (I had some baby bok choi from our CSA - nom nom).
3) Heat a mixture of vegetable oil and sesame oil. Use a veggie oil with a high smoke point - like straight up canola or, if you're too snooty for that, some safflower. The sesame oil is just for flavor. I usually do a 2:1 ratio of veggie to sesame oil.
4) Once it's hot add your aromatics, a big ol' squirt of ginger, and a crap ton of garlic. Stir constantly
5) Wait 2-3 minutes and start adding the other veggies staggered about 1-2 minutes at a time. Once you've got all your veggies in it's time for the rice. Throw it all in there and stir, stir, stir. Once it's all broken up and starting to look warm, season it all liberally with soy sauce (or, if you're feeling fancy, tamari).
6) Slice up your scrambled egg and stir it in.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts