| pasta primavera in a light lemony white wine sauce |

Okay, first off...I'm back on the Weight Watchers bandwagon, so you can anticipate that my recipes will be healthier from here on out. That will either make you happy or sad. It makes me a little of both, I admit.

So, I was trying to decide what to make for lunches this week an was craving pasta with a wine sauce, but I was struggling to figure out how to do that without copious amounts of olive oil. Then I thought, hey, why not use the technique for a Chinese white sauce (corn starch, ya know?) as a basis? So I did. In typical me fashion, I cooked up 6 servings of it, never assuming it might not turn out. Luckily for me, I was not disappointed. This is a winner.

PASTA PRIMAVERA IN A LIGHT LEMONY WHITE WINE SAUCE
1) Boil some water for pasta. Add a box of pasta when it's ready. Also, cook a package of frozen peas in the microwave.
2) Mince an onion very finely. I also had some extra celery on hand so I minced up about 2 stalks of it, too, but this wouldn't be necessary.
3) Put 2 T of olive oil in a sauce pan. Heat it, then add the onion, celery, and some minced garlic (I used about a tablespoon of the pre-minced stuff).
4) Once it gets soft, add 1/2 cup of white wine. Drink the rest of the mini-bottle of wine.***
5) Combine 1 1/2 cups water with 1 T corn starch and whisk until combined. For whatever reason this works better if the water is cold.
6) Pour the water into the sauce pan and stir. Add some lemon zest and juice (or at least juice). I used about 2 T of lemon juice and 1 t of zest.
7) While that heats up, chop some arugula. About 1-2 cups. Depends on how much you like arugula. You could sub spinach or kale if you don't like arugula.
8) Combine the cooked pasta, sauce, peas, and arugula in a bit pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with parmesan.

If you're counting points this is 8 points (using 12 oz uncooked whole wheat pasta and 3 oz parmesan total). This doesn't include drinking the extra wine. :-)

***You do have mini bottles of white wine on hand right? I'm talking about the small bottles of the cheapy Moscato or Zinfandel that come in a four pack. These are perfect for cooking. That way you don't end up opening a whole bottle of wine every time you need to cook something with it.

Comments

Popular Posts