|reconnecting with my old friend, Mr. Manwich|

I know this is going to sound pretty lame, but when I became a vegetarian, one of things I knew I would really miss were Manwiches. So lovey and easy to make. Cheap, too. As a kid, I enjoyed them will full-fat ground beef, but - as an adult - had graduated to lean turkey meat. A quick brown of the meat, throw in the can of Manwich, slap it on a bun, top with mustard and pickles and life was good.

It look a while, but my husband and I finally decided the best possible meat substitute for Manwiches (and probably pretty much anything that calls for ground beef) is the lovely lentil. They have almost no flavor of their own, and the texture is just right for ground meat. Plus, they are cheap, easy, and really nutritious. Would it work with the Manwich?

The answer is....YES! They were fantastic! I just boiled about 1 cup of lentils until they were done (about 30 minutes). Drained them and then added them to the Manwich sauce and a few sauteed onions. Still added the mustard and pickles to my bun. So tasty.

And...for a more adult version of the Lentilwich, might I recommend topping some brown rice with any left over Lentilwich filling have lying about. Very tasty.

Comments

Popular Posts