|the report from los angeles|

For a person that loves food as much as I do, vacations are always awesome. Here are some highlights from my first trip to L.A.

  • I hadn't been to a PeiWei or a Baja Fresh in THREE YEARS...and L.A. has both, so that was awesome.
  • Had my first experience with Sprinkles (far, far superior to Crumbs) and Pinkberry, both of which were amazing. They take cupcakes and frozen yogurt to a whole new level.
  • We went to the "Farmer's Market" just southwest of Beverly Hills (it's in quotes because there were no farmers there) and had some fantastic tacos at Loteria. They basically have a bunch of "stews" that they put into homemade corn tortillas. Mine was made with potatoes, poblanos, and cilantro.
  • We had dinner one night at Father's Office in Santa Monica. There were very few vegetarian options, but I had the fries "a la cart" (they came out in a little grocery cart). They were very thinly sliced with an herb-salt seasoning on them. My husband had an amazing looking burger with gorgonzola, gruyere, and carmelized red onions.
  • Our last day there, we went with my brother to an actual farmers' market downtown by his office. There were so many amazing options! I had some cold soba salad with jicama in it, fresh cherries and grape tomatoes, and a HUGE brownie.
  • Urth Cafe in Beverly Hills is AWESOME! They do this whole organic, earthy gig. I had some really creamy and thick squash soup and a little hummus/tabbouleh platter. And on the recommendation of my brother, we both had the Spanish latte, which was some of the best coffee I've ever had.
  • One of the tastiest roasted vegetable sandwiches I've ever had happened at the cafe in the Getty Center. Tasty. I also really appreciated all the signage they had everywhere about things the cafe is doing for environmental sustainability. For example, by the sandwich station they had a sign asking you to consider NOT adding cheese to your sandwich, but using one of their non-dairy spreads because of the greenhouse emissions from dairy cattle.

Comments

sandy said…
That was fun to read! Mmmmm...sprinkles sounds yummy, and looks yummy as well! Glad you had such good eats while traveling!

Popular Posts