| sneaky broccoli cheese rice casserole

So...I had an immense craving for a broccoli-cheese-rice casserole. While I was picking up ingredients at the store I thought, "Hmmm....this would be a lot better if I could figure out some kind of protein to add." Obviously, chicken would be most folks' go-to source for this recipe, but since I'm a vegetarian. So I had to get more creative. The recipe turned out to be awesome (though my husband did say, "You're just making that for YOU to eat, right?").

SNEAKY PROTEIN CHEESY RICE CASSEROLE WITH BROCCOLI
1) Cook about 4 cups of rice. I used jasmine, but use whatever kind you like.
2) While it's cooking, chop up about 3-4 cups of broccoli pretty small and nuke it for 3-4 minutes in your microwave.
3) In a big bowl mix together the following:
- one package of silken tofu, pureed (I used a handheld potato masher to do this)
- one can of condensed broccoli cheese soup
- a cup of milk
- 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- cheese: I probably used about a cup of grated sharp cheddar and another 1/2 cup of shredded parm
4) Smash up some crackers for a topping.  I used the handheld potato masher for this, too. Who knew those things were so handy?
5) Combine the rice and broccoli with the creamy mixture in the big bowl, then pour into a casserole dish. Top with the crushed crackers. Bake for about 40 minutes at 350. Enjoy your sneaky protein treat.

Comments

Popular Posts