|i love eggs|

One of my favorite things about cooking is you're never quite sure where it will take you. Take today, for example. I came home for lunch fully expecting to grab a little cilantro out front and saute it up with some chopped peppers, onion, garlic - throw in an egg - scramble - put on a tortilla with cheddar cheese. Eggs are one of my all-time favorite things to eat for lunch because, regardless of what I have on hand, I can always find a way to make something in a skillet with eggs. Add on a carb and I'm all set.

But when I opened the refrigerator a half-hour ago, I discovered the peppers were all gone. I guess my husband really listened to me when I told him, "Hey, eat these peppers this week!" I have to check in with him when he gets home to figure out just exactly how he ate all those peppers yesterday.

I could have been alarmed, but then I remembered all the goodies I got from the CSA yesterday! Before long, I had fresh spring garlic sauteeing in the pan - added in some of those oyster mushrooms and watercress - took a quick trip to the front porch to get some sage and rosemary - and I was in business. It was all looking so good that I decided to forgo the carbs altogether (a huge compliment, coming from me) in favor of having two eggs in this omelet. Once it was all cooked up, I still needed cheese. Normally, I dislike ricotta - but since my only options were ricotta, reduced-fat cheddar cheese shreds in a bag, and a cannister of fake parmesan flakes, it was a no-brainer. I slathered on some ricotta, folded the whole thing in half and sat down by my window. It was one of those meals that requires you to do nothing else but eat - and thank God for the beauty of food. No TV on. No magazine out. Just me and my eggs.

I'm so glad he finished off those peppers yesterday.

Comments

sandy said…
Perhaps you should just be a food celebrity! These are always delightful. I find myself checking each day to see if you have posted something new. I love this one...and eggs sound really, really good! Mmmmm Wish it weren't so late...might have one myself! :0)

Popular Posts